Gluten-free, refined sugar-free, vegan
400g Bambara beans, cooked or Canned
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, grated
2 tsp ginger, grated
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
200g chopped tomatoes, deseeded
2 tbsp tomato paste
2-3 tbsp hot curry powder
2-4 tbsp ghee, butter or coconut cream
Salt and pepper to season
Sorghum flatbread or bread of choice
- To cook the raw Bambara Beans , soak overnight covered in water. Drain and place in a saucepan with fresh water covering the nuts. Cook on low for 2 hours slightly covered with a lid, adding water if the water evaporates.
- Cook the beans feel tender when pinching between your fingers. Drain the liquid and set aside or just use the canned version
- For the curry, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, tomatoes and curry powder and cook for 3-4 minutes. If the pan gets dry add a splash of water and make sure the spices don’t burn.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add in the Bambara beans and ghee then reduce to a medium to low heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, taste for additional seasoning then serve with sorghum flatbreads or bread of choice